Wednesday, September 17, 2008

In His shadow

Today was my orginal due date for Nolan. I always said my children like to "bake" longer as both girls were 9+ days past their due date. So, I assumed 9/18 would come and go and we would still be waiting to meet our sweet boy. Things don't always go as planned, and it has been over three weeks since Nolan was here with us. It makes me sad that he is not here in my arms. I think God has been protecting me. My devotional scripture this morning was Psalm 91:1 ~ He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. Hurricane Ike has kept us more sheltered than usual. I have mostly stayed home, the kids are still out of school, and I haven't even been to the grocery store. In some ways, this shelter is good for me. In other ways, I need to get out, but getting out has it's consequences. Yesterday, I went with friends for a much needed pedicure. One of the ladies came up and asked "how's the baby?". I sat there for a minute - this had to come up sooner or later and I have to learn to deal with it. I've been saved from answering this question twice already - once by my Mom when someone asked at church 4 days after Nolan's birth and once by Troy when a neighbor saw us out walking the other day. I'm so thankful to them for answering for me, but I have to do this sometime. So, I told the nail lady that he only lived for about an hour. Of course she was shocked and so sorry. I even felt bad for her feeling bad about asking. Later I went into Subway and one of the teenagers that lives on our street was working there. He asked me if I had the baby. I said yes. He asked what his name was and I told him, 'Nolan'. As I left, I wondered if I should have said more. As far as he knows everything is fine, but I just couldn't bring myself to say more and he didn't ask more questions. I'm not sure if it's better to answer only the questions asked or to spill my guts. When fears overcome me and the cares of this world worry me, I have ventured out of His protecting shadow. I can't hide in my house forever, but I can live under the protecting shadow of our Lord. That is my goal - to venture out into the world, but let God's shadow protect me. He knows what I can handle, and He won't give me more than that.

I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust." Psalm 91:2

10 comments:

mrsrubly said...

OMGoodnes! today is my birthday! i am still praying for you and your sweet family.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you Karen and thinking of that sweet little boy! Every time I look at his picture I am amazed at how perfect and beautiful he looks. Love ya!

Nikki

Anonymous said...

God Bless you and your family! I pray that God will wrap his arms around you and your family. Take care.

Kim (marygracesummons.blogspot.com) said...

OH Karen,
I remember these things happening and there is not a good way to handle it. God somehow gets us through. Now I find myself so desperately wanting someone to ask about Mary Grace so I can share her with them. Now it seems life just goes on and that's hurtful too. I will continue to pray for you and your family. I am so happy God blessed you with such a precious gift, he will be with you always.
With love,
Kim

Anonymous said...

Karen,

If we all only had the faithe and understanding that you have. You are truly an inspiration to me! God bless you and be with you on your tough days!

Casey Jo

Kenzie said...

Karen-

Oh dear friend... Just like Kim, I clearly remember these times and each time I wanted to tell everything and yet, most of the time I didn't. It broke my heart again every time someone asked about the "baby"... and then it started to break my heart when people no longer did. As you have so clearly shown and recognized, it is only God who can carry you through those times and allow you to walk away intact. Just know that I continue to pray for you and ask our Lord to guide and protect you as you venture into these next weeks and months. He is truly the only one that can get you through : )

Nolan is so lucky to have such an amazing, loving family! He will always be remembered!

Love you lots and praying,
Kenzie

Anonymous said...

Thinking about you today!! I just wanted to get on the blog and look at all the beautiful pictures of my nephew and nieces!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I wish that I could wear a sign that says "Handle with care, I've just lost my love." Maybe then people would ask less questions of me... or better yet ask the right questions (whatever that would be in any given moment, right?) But we can't wear that sign so we have to resign ourselves to being gracious even when an innocent question causes that sting in our hearts. Praying you on tonight that God heals and restores. Thank you for sharing the story of your sweet boy!
-Trinity
www.journeyofgriefandhealing.blogpot.com

Laurie in Ca. said...

I check in daily and want you to know that I am praying for you as you rest in His shadow. And asking Him to protect you when you are out and about with the things you have to do. I look at Nolan's beautiful picture and pray for peace over your family.

Laurie in Ca.

Kenzie said...

Karen-

Just wanted to say hi and that I have been thinking about you guys! Praying for you as you continue to walk through this year...

So much love & prayer,
Kenzie