Thursday, September 11, 2008

Bring the rain

As we, like many other people along the Texas gulf coast are preparing this evening for Hurricane Ike, I told Troy and the girls - It's just weather. We have been through a lot more than weather recently and God will protect us. He has gotten us this far, and he won't let us down now. In my women's bible study today, one of the speakers talked about the coming hurricane and how she was sure that some people in the room were thinking that it would be nice if a hurricane was their worst problem today. I was thinking "amen, sister"! Bring on the rain! If God can calm my storm, he can take care of Ike.

First I have to say, that everything I am sharing tonight I can't take credit for. I'm mostly repeating things I have heard in church and from various people over the last week. They happen to be things that have spoken volumes to me in my current situation, and I feel like right now my calling is to share and pray that someone else can encouraged by reading these words.

I believe that our outlook on a situation can affect the outcome. Our sermon in church last Sunday was about praise. Two things really stood out to me. First, praise is a pathway to God's power. When you feel attacked by Satan - praise God. ". . . Give thanks to the Lord; His faithful love endures forever!" 2 Chronicles 20:21 Second, praise brings perspective to our problems. An unshakable faith can only come from faith that has been shaken.

When I was in the hospital after Nolan was born, Troy left one day to go home and shower and then went to get a haircut. When he was on the way back to the hospital, the blade from a fan in our vehicle broke off and stuck in the radiator. He immediately knew there was a problem and drove to the repair shop. The fan and radiator had to be replaced. Then the day that we came home from the hospital our ice maker stopped working when we had a house full of company. Normally, these little inconveniences really irritate me and can get me in a bad mood. This time neither of us seemed really bothered. Troy asked me later if I thought that it was Satan trying to get us when we were down. I answered that I believe it certainly could have been but we choose instead to focus on celebrating the life of our son and God didn't allow the circumstances to get us down. I also believe that because we chose to praise God and share his love with others through Nolan that he guarded our hearts and minds from the other issues that were thrown at us during that time.

Our bible study today was about David and how he was anointed by God to to lead his people. We are all in different "seasons" of our life whether they are good, bad or just plain ugly to us, God has anointed and empowered us to be there in that season right now. He has a plan and purpose for us. I talked with women today whose husbands were out of a job, a son is in jail, businesses are faltering due to the economy; but all of them chose to praise God and continue to believe that God has a plan for their families. I would urge you to praise God for your season and choose to use it for His glory.

Please continue to pray for Kenzie and baby Faith as well as for the protection of the people in the path of Hurricane Ike.

3 comments:

Stacy@hiswaynotmine said...

Praising God with you for all of the pain and the joy...for it is often in the rain and valleys of life that we see God's love more clearly, that we are more within His presence as we look at life through His eyes, and as we have a heart of praise and thanksgiving...in all things. God is good...always even in the midst of pain.

Thank you for such beautiful words spoken from a woman who is shining God's love and Truth forth in a mighty and powerful way.

I have been praying for you and your family as God does the healing work within each of you and will continue lifting you before God's throne.

I keep thinking of Isaiah 61:3 for you..."to give you beauty for ashes, the oil of JOY for mourning, the garments of PRAISE for the Spirit of heaviness...." You are living this out.

In Christ's love, Stacy

Kim (marygracesummons.blogspot.com) said...

Karen,
Thinking of you today. I am praying for your heart and for your family. I am glad Ike is over and hope you guys stayed safe and with minimal if any damage. I will continue to pray for you! Your post makes me thinkg of the song = Blessed be the name of the Lord "every blessing You pour out I turn back to praise, and when the darkness closes in Lord, STILL I will say...blessed be the name of the Lord, blessed be your name Jesus" We'll just keep on choosing to praise Him regardless of the storm and it's variable strength!
With love,
Kim

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen and Troy!

I just got off the phone with Holly Gibson and she updated me on all that your precious family has been through. Though we are years removed and miles apart, my heart is aching for my brother and sister in Christ. When I got off the phone I immediately thanked God for His presence in your life.

“My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him…Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him.” Psalm 62:1,5

You both are such wonderful people with so many blessings in life. When you are feeling like there is way too much for you to handle, remember God is there to carry it ALL! All you have to do is turn to Him. He will arrive in your lives through family, friends, music and even RAIN!

Blessed be the Lord, Who bears our burdens and carries us day by day, even the God Who is our salvation! Selah [pause, and calmly think of that!] Psalm 68:19

You have been chosen by Him to go through this time. Why? He knows why and we will someday. Be strong. Sometimes you will feel like there is no strength left in you, and that's ok. Be as strong as you can be for THAT moment. Regardless of how much strength you muster up, He will be proud of you and will always be with you.

Then the Lord turned to him and said, “Go in the strength you have…I will be with you” Judges 6:14, 16

I love you guys and miss you both!

My prayers will continue to be with your family.

Carol Martin