Thursday, September 4, 2008

One Life Can Make A Difference

I hadn't planned on a post today. I didn't have any words to share. However, Troy went to the gym, and I was getting dressed and ready for the day, I decided to turn on the radio to KSBJ, our local christian station. When I turned on the radio, I'll Fly Away was playing . . . "i'll fly away . . . to a land where joy shall never end". We sang this song at the end of Nolan's memorial service on Wednesday as we released about 100 blue ballons to celebrate our baby flying away to heaven. The next song was Give Me Words to Speak . . . "give me words to speak, don't let my spirit sleep, I can't think of anything worth saying but I know I owe you my life". This song was so "me" right now. I sat down to check emails and began reading recent comments to my last post. Then it all began to make more sense. God has the words. Someone said that our faith has encouraged them to make a step closer to God, a good friend thanked us for inviting their family to church several years ago. Our family motto has always been "adapt and overcome". We try to teach our children that everything is not always going to go exactly as we want or as we plan but to make the best of each situation and not to give up. They even quote the motto on occasion:) Last week at the hospital, I think Troy may have unknowingly come up with a new motto or at least a wonderful addition to the one we already have . . . ONE LIFE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. I thank God for using Nolan to give us words and actions to encourage others.

I have added the two songs above to my playlist.

Karen

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen, I just wanted you to know that the service for Nolan was beautiful and very moving.
While I knew each of the songs that were sung there, it is different now when I hear them. I must have been listening to KSBJ this morning also at the same time you were because I also heard I'll Fly Away. And while it brought me to tears again, it was a reminder to continue praying for you. Just wanted you to know that you are still being lifted up in prayer daily by many people. His mercies are new every morning...may you wake up with a new source of strength daily.
Love, Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen,
I'm glad you are still posting. I'm sorry I wasn't able to make it to the memorial service to be with you guys. My parents said it was beautiful.
It is strange, I know everyone reading this blog wants to comfort you, but reading it has really made my faith stronger and had inspired me in my relationship with God. I am the one getting comfort from your words!
By the way, "I'll Fly Away" was a perfect choice, that has always been one of my very favorite songs too.
Love,
Sarah Schmidt

Melissa said...

I'm not sure how I even came across your blog the first time; but I do believe God led me here!! Even in the midst of your suffering, your words are still encouraging and so faithful!! With all the craziness that goes on in my life, I sometimes turn away from God(unintenitionally), and "forget" that He is in control and is all-knowing and all-loving. But through your blog, through Nolan's precious life, you have made me long to find that strength and love from Him that is guiding you through your grief.

Sorry to be wordy, but I just wanted you and your family to know that Nolan's life has touched my life and he has become a witness to God.

So Blessed said...

Praying for your family...

Anonymous said...

My name is Tony. I am Debbie Parnell's boy friend. I just wanted to tell you that I am so sorry for your lose. We have never met but as children of the Lord's we are Christians so I also feel your hurt and pain. I myself am a father of a 4 year old dauther and feel so blessed. The Lord has blessed my life with Chelsea (my daughter) Debbie and my new friends and family. I now have you as a Christian brother and sister. My heart crys for your family and I am here to help in any way I can. God bless you all and keep looking up cause you are being looked down on by your beautiful son.
Blessing Tony Zizzo
tjzizzo@sbcglobal.net